An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

February 25, 2013

The Unexpected Dog

The day we got Loretta, we did not wake up and say "let's get another dog today".  We were on our way home from a disappointing auction and stopped at the animal shelter on a whim. In idle chatter with the attendant we told him what kind of dogs we liked. He told us that if we waited a few minutes someone was due to drop off a litter of redbone, and black and tan coon hounds. Of course we stuck around and came home with a new dog, and it was a good thing for her that we did. She was in bad shape for a dog so young, and would likely not have lived another day or two. Rather than showing her gratitude, or rejoicing in the lucky turn of events, Loretta spent life always looking over her shoulder.



She was perhaps the most difficult dog I have ever owned, not that she was a bad dog, she just had so many issues. Loretta had numerous and costly health problems, which was doubly unfortunate because she reacted badly to anesthesia. We picked her out of the litter because she was the quiet one, but she nearly spent the rest of her waking hours barking. She was deathly afraid of storms, and could predict their arrival well before the warnings would crawl across the bottom of the TV screen. Even though she was neutered, she always attracted attentions from the opposite sex, but she would adamantly have none of it. One might think that depression is the purview of modern humans, but I can tell you dogs suffer from it also. She also stank, as many hounds do, but I came to enjoy her funk and am already missing it.




Her life did have some moments of joy though. She loved to sing and with little encouragement would throw her head back and let loose in deep soulful song. Loretta also enjoyed her time in the sun, and would follow a patch of it around the house, just like a cat. She went to great lengths to keep her self clean and had a sleek black coat that reminded me of a seal's. On hot summer days she loved to go wading in the river and swish her ears under the water, though she would not swim. She also loved nothing more than to sleep, her long limbs stretched to offer little room for anyone else. Loretta was shy, and conservative with her affections, though there were several humans, beyond her housemates, with whom she enjoyed special bonds.



Loretta entered her senior years gracefully, which was probably easier since she has always been a bit elderly. As recently as last week she was still singing her songs, and even spent time playing games with one of our cats, a most rare occurrence. When Loretta woke yesterday she was out of sorts and unsettled, not wanting to drink or eat, much. Poking around, we found a large mass on her throat that extended down to her chest. She paced most of last night searching unsuccessfully to find a comfortable sleeping position. I took her to the vet's this morning hoping the mass could be something easily drained away or reduced with medication. Dr. Marshall said that would not happen and offered a couple other options, though not sincerely realistic. The x-rays showed how the mass was constricting her trachea to only a 1/4" opening. We really had only one choice, which was to let her go. I know it is clichéd, but she did indeed die peacefully in my arms. I did not wake up this morning thinking it would be Loretta's last day, but just as she entered our lives unexpectedly, she left that way as well.

27 comments:

  1. They are such a big part of our lives, it is hard to say goodbye. Know you miss her. I am so sorry Les.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Les. She sounded like a bit of a tortured soul but you gave her a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry Les, but a lovely tribute. Those that are difficult make us strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to read this Les. To have a connection to a special animal is such a gift, one we accept many times in our lives (if we are lucky) even though we know chances are we'll out live them and our hearts will break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post Les. You and Loretta were lucky to share the time she had. I'm sorry that there is an empty place in your home and heart right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Letting them go is always so very difficult. My condolences to you and all who are missing her today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry, Les. What a beautiful tribute this is to sweet Loretta, who was obviously a mich-loved companion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tribute for a special friend. It's so hard to have to let a beloved family member go....

    ReplyDelete
  9. My deepest sympathies.

    For those of you who have not heard Loretta sing: http://atidewatergardener.blogspot.com/2009/01/loretta-sings-with-herself.html

    Still brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taking animals into our lives is so risky. They become almost as beloved as children and yet they live such a short time. Your post conveys so elegantly what the reward is. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very touching tribute to a most special dog. As I've noted, Loretta was lucky you selected her and I know your time with her was rewarding. I'm sorry my allergies won't ever allow me to have a dog. (But I did have Timmy the Wonder Turtle for 10 years.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been through this before with my dogs and it's so painful. But the joy of their lives is always greater than the depth of our sorrow. Thank you for adopting and keeping a shelter dog. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fitting memorial for Loretta. Though I didn't know her, I feel I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor old girl. They share our lives for such a short time, but we are so much the richer for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Les, I'm so sorry about your loss. Loretta was clearly well loved. You must miss her terribly. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Condolences. She sounds like a lovable character, even if difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry. I lost an old girl last year and Hoover the year before that. It's painful. Keep remembering she won the shelter-dog lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Les, sorry for your loss. I, too have a difficult dog, and I she sounds quite similar to Watson in personality as well as medical issues. And they both like to sleep a lot, but really, who doesn't? I'm glad you were able to help her pass peacefully and gave her a long and loved life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sorry - never easy to make the decision to let them go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sad Les! I am sure it must be heartbreaking. What a lovely and touching tribute you wrote her. It brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel your sorrow today. Saying Goodbye to a beloved pet is never easy. I am so happy that your family found Loretta and that she found you as well. Not many people find it in their hearts to care for a "Special Needs". So from One animal lover to another, I thank you for sharing this wonderful story....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Les, so sad to hear about your loss. Thanks for sharing this lovely remembrance of Loretta.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Les, what a beautiful remembrance post. Dogs bring out the best in us. You have been richly rewarded by Loretta.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've written such a beautiful tribute, Les. It's been sweet getting to know Loretta over the years through your posts and pictures of her here...I'm sorry she's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Les, Loretta was a lucky girl to be adopted into a family that allowed her to be who she was... quirks and all. We share the same moving experience as we lost our 13-year old lab a month ago. We're down to one very old kitty now.

    ReplyDelete