An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

May 30, 2009

Currituck Garden Tour - Part II

There were 2 businesses on the tour. The first one I went to was the Harbinger Lavender Farm. The proprietor has defied the common belief that you can't grow healthy lavender in the humid southeast. At the farm you can pick-your-own bundles of organic lavender, purchase products made from it or buy the plants for your own garden. The next stop was Blooms To Your Door Flower Field. The owner is the daughter of Brent and Becky Heath of bulb fame, and she must have pollen in her DNA. Here she grows fresh cut organic flowers to sell on the Outer Banks.




The last garden on the tour was Island Gardens, and it was another weed free wonder. This garden had some beautiful Clematis, several of which were growing on chains from the corners of the barn eaves anchored to the ground (an idea I may steal). The vegetable garden was immaculate, they had a nice water garden and were also selling plants - but I left all my money with the people at Currituck BBQ.








10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love it all, but that lavender is to die for. Mine barely makes it in So. Indiana! ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just love those pictures. Do you think I could grow lavender in Pungo, cuz I sure want to try it. How about a post on that?

    Thanks so much for showing off the local talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice gardens Les!! Something new to me... may need to plan another field trip! I knew there was a lavender farm in Richmond, but didn't know about south of here. Love the poppy --very ruffley and pink. And B & B's daughter eh? Interesting. I knew their son worked up at their shop, didn't know about other kids and their gardens.
    Beautiful weekend to get out and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pollen in the DNA now that is funny! Beautiful gardens and hard to find Brisket on a menu in the east so I would leave some money at the BBQ place also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke,
    I tried it once at my last house and was so disappointed I have not tried it since.

    Joe and Karen,
    I know some of the tricks are to make sure it is in sandy well drained soil, do not mulch, or mulch with rock and pick a variety that does better here - like Spanish or Dutch Lav., Provence or Fat Spike.

    Janet,
    The lavender farm is not far from the bridge going over to Nags Head. There are so many ugly sites on 168 heading down there, but it was very nice pulling just a few hundred yards off the busy highway and seeing such beauty.

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  6. Les, Thank you for sharing this delightful tour..I am in garden tour withdrawal and this helps! It is wonderful to see
    Achillea so beautifully blooming; I never see those golden ones in the nurseries anymore...just pastels!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gail,
    You are welcome, and maybe these pictures will stave of the DTs.

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les, have you ever had any problens with resin dripping out of pine trees???
    jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this tour. Now that rain chain sounds very clever and I'm going to borrow it too. I'm going to hang it on the corner of Copper Top which is about 5 boards away from being done. Lovely pictures and I love the lavender farm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les, did you make it to the Manteo garden tour? I'm looking forward to my tour at your garden!!!H.

    ReplyDelete