An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

April 12, 2008

The Pinkham Garden, April 08

I had the opportunity to visit the garden of Bill and Linda Pinkham this week. The Pinkhams are the former owners and founders of the company I work for. Although I am not terribly well-traveled, I know of no other garden quite like theirs. Bill had been asking me to visit so I could see some things in their spring best that I may want to find for my customers. We only saw the sun this week for about 4 or 5 hours, and unfortunately it was not the day I visited, but at least the rain held off and I was able to take some shots.

This Azalea variety is Don's Variegated (Rhododendron austrinum 'Don's Variegated'), although I have found the variegation weak, the flower color is anything but.
Appalachian Red Redbud (Cercis canadensis 'Appalachian Red')
The colors on this Corydalis 'Berry Exciting' have not been electronically altered. Five Leaf Akebia (Akebia quinata)Here is Ueno Homare Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum 'Ueno Homare') with Columbine in front. The Maples were extraordinarily beautiful, so much so, that I will do a separate post later on.
I think the foliage on Epimediums is more attractive than the flowers.

Cedar Lane Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens 'Cedar Lane') with variegated Box
Spotted Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) with Ajuga
Sophora davidii Popcorn Doublefile Viburnum (Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum 'Popcorn')
The rest of the shots are just some broader pictures of the garden. You can see the garden is in its spring fullness, the woods away from the water are coming to life, but the marsh and the water's edge are still wearing their winter colors.




8 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Using that facade stonework as a flat feature in the bed is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les,
    What is the story on the gothic-y stonework set into the flower bed? Are they old architectural remnants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warm coat and a cup of coffee would be nice in that garden. Stunning orange rhodie! And the milk thistle + ajuga is not a combination you'd see in Fine Gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arcady - Yes those are remnants of a old window. The intent is to let it become a moss garden.

    Chuck B. - There are not many unintentional plantings or pairings in this garden, but knowing the nature of both of those plants, I say it was a happy accident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tour of the Pinkhams' garden. I grew up in Churchland, and still visit my parents there, so I have fond memories of your place of business; My birthday present was usually $25 and a ride out to the nursery. Linda was always so nice and helpful to a kid interested in all manner of weird plants, orchids, etc. BTW - I was one of those "people" wandering your garden center on that cold, rainy Sunday mentioned in the previous post. I don't get over there during the day much, and I'm compelled to stop in and see what's up, no matter what the weather. Things are not great re. my parents' health these days, so walking around there helps me to either a)decompress after a harrowing day of caregiving or b)stall when I really don't want to be there yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff, thanks for being one of those people. I am glad we had the business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silphium/Ajuga combo is nice. I've only planted planted it intentionally once and it comes up here and there every year. But never next to a planted the complemented it as well.

    ReplyDelete