An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

January 28, 2008

An Odd Flower

This is Jelena Witchhazel (Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena'), and up close it is a bizarre flower. It started blooming in the middle of the month and will probably continue well into February. When temperatures drop into the low to mid 20s, the strap-like petals curl up closer to the red calyx and then when it gets warmer, they unfold again like a birthday party horn . This one is not very fragrant, at least not that I could tell. 'Pallida' is much more fragrant, but I like this color better. The fall foliage was really nice this year, it was a warm apricot color and lasted several weeks. This plant will slowly get to about 15' tall and spread out about as much. It can take full sun to partial shade and should be hardy in zones 5 to 8.
This is the same picture only zoomed out so you can see it with Red Twig Dogwood and Gold Mop Cypress.

I am in the middle of attending the Mid Atlantic Horticultural Short Course which a mouthful of a name for what we usually shorten to just the "Hort Course". If I learn anything of interest I'll try to share. It is in Virginia Beach at the Founders Inn which was once affiliated with and adjacent to Pat Robertson's CBN. I'll try not to think about that while I am learning a thing or two.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen witch hazel flowers up that close before - great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That flower is downright...I'm not sure how I feel about it.

    the verification word for this comment is "fibsy".

    Like, "Pat Robertson told a little fibsy."

    ReplyDelete